Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Questions and Answers




Have you ever gotten an idea for a book or part of one of your novels from something or somewhere unexpected?

I would have to say that most of my ideas are unexpected. I rarely plan too far in advance what I'm going to write. My ideas come to me as I write.

Did you always know you would write a novel? Why did you finally decide to write one and when?

Though I've always been creative, mostly in painting watercolors, I didn't think I would be a writer. It was actually a vision of my story I had while sitting in a movie theater watching a flick. I only saw the first scene of my story, probably half a page of writing. When I started writing the story, it just started flowing to me.

What are five things that are must haves when you are writing?

My computer or lap top, peace and quiet, contentment, relaxation, and a whole lot of coffee. Though I've written with a lack of all of these at times, these are what make writing most enjoyable.

Is there one book that has had an impact on not only your writing, but on you personally?

C.S. Lewis's The Magician's Nephew and The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe. As a preteen these stories were so magical to me and I used to wish I could go to Narnia like the Pevensie siblings did.

What is the hardest emotion for you to convey?

Hmm ... that's a tricky one. Probably being too serious. I love humor in all situations so I have to be careful with that.

Tell us something most people don’t know about you!

I'm blessed with an awesome family. My three children are very talented. The oldest two are musicians and the youngest a dancer. Also, my only daughter and I are pretty much bff.

Which came first for you--the characters, the idea for the setting, or the plot?…

Another tricky one. I'll go with the characters. But even though I think of them before I write about them, I don't put too much thought into them until I actually start writing about them. Then they come to life on their own. Actually, that's why I love to write; I feel like I'm being led by my characters, getting to know their personalities as I'm writing. Seeing them doing what their doing as they do it. Though of course there are times I'll say "Nah … that ain't working," and then I edit. :)

Check out my books at www.themagicwarble.com and www.theblackshard.com

No comments:

Post a Comment