Friday, August 3, 2012

Interview with Julia Crane

 
Hey all you readers and writers! Emma Michaels here to introduce our guest author of the day:
Julia Crane
Hello Julia and welcome to The Writers Voice!

What part of your first novel did you find hardest to write?

I found it was hard to slow down. I wanted to get to the climax of the book too quickly. I actually had a couple of comments that the book felt too rushed towards the end so I went back and added more to the chapters.

What scares you most?

With writing? Hmm, interesting question and one I haven’t given much thought to. Of course I have the normal fears of people not enjoying my book, but other than that I can’t really think of fears. Fears in general life? As a mother my biggest fear is something happening to my children.

Do you start writing when you have a plot mapped out or start plotting when you have started writing based off a spark of inspiration?

I’m not a plotter. I just kinda go with the flow; I get an idea and go with it. I do find that while I am doing mundane chores such as sweeping the floor or doing the dishes I often come up with ideas to move the plot forward.

Was there ever a moment when you wouldn’t trade what you do as an author for the world? What was that moment for you?

I got a review from Ya-Aholic that had me smiling for days. That was the first time I thought wow, someone loves my book! http://www.ya-aholic.com/search?q=julia+crane

Aspiring writers often hear, "Read what you want to write," "Hone your writing craft." and, above all else, "Be patient." What other advice would you give them?

If there is something you are not particularly good at find someone who is great at it and learn from them. Such as I constantly have to remind myself to show not tell. I read a book by Heather Adkins and was so impressed with her descriptions that I contacted her. She is now one of my beta readers and helps me when she notices I’m showing not telling or not doing justice to descriptions in a scene.


Is there rhyme and reason to how you choose character traits?

I love seeing characters come to life on the pages. I definitely take character traits from people I know. Since I have a teen daughter I get the pleasure of being around her and her friends. You can learn a lot from watching teens.

To all our readers out there, thank you for following The Writers Voice and happy reading!

2 comments:

  1. Great interview. Thanks for sharing it.

    Jenea @ Books Live Forever

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview! I do love her books! Coexist was the first book I have read from her and I was hooked instantly and I have been a fan of hers since then.

    ReplyDelete