Saturday, July 28, 2012

Interview with Inara Scott

 


Hey all you readers and writers! Emma Michaels here to introduce our guest author of the day:
Inara Scott
Hello Inara and welcome to The Writers Voice!

Do you ever get writers block? How do you suggest aspiring authors overcome their own bouts of writers block?

I hate to say this, but I don't actually believe writer's block exists! I think writer's block is what happens when we are too scared to put words on the page because we think they aren't good enough, or they are trite, or over done, or boring, or don't further the plot, or whatever million fears we concoct in our heads. When I find myself stuck, or frozen at the keyboard, I simply remind myself that it's okay to put garbage on the page. The first thing you write is never the best thing. That's the process. It's messy and ugly and a lot of what you write will end up in the trash. But if you don't give yourself permission to write the trash, you'll never get to the good stuff.

What do you feel is your biggest writerly fault and how do you deal with it?

I'm terribly impatient! Even though I know I should slow down and let things sit and marinate, I find myself rushing through drafts and shooting things off to critique partners, agent, etc., before they're ready. I've got to force myself to give my writing a little time and space before it sees the light of day. :)

What is your favorite point of view to write from? Do you have any particular reason?

I really enjoy writing in the first person. I tend to get a little distant from my characters when I'm in third person. In first, I feel like I can simply eject the contents of my head into the page. Very satisfying.

Worldbuilding is such an important part of writing. What is your world building process like for you?

I spend a lot of time walking and thinking. I can't do this stuff while I'm in front of the computer. I need to be free to ramble mentally, while my body is moving.

What's your writing routine? Do you write in the mornings, nights, daily, or when the mood strikes you?

I'm an early bird. I've always written best early in the morning.

What is your biggest pet peeve in writing?

My biggest pet peeve is when people criticize books with happy endings because they "aren't realistic." I believe that there's a whole lot of joy in life, and that people really do fall in love and live happily ever after. I have no problem writing that into a book.

To all our readers out there, thank you for following The Writers Voice and happy reading!

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful to "meet" you, Inara! Love the name, I only know one person with that name and she is my niece!

    Awesome interview! I cannot wait to read the book.

    Konstanz Silverbow
    nothoughts2small.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete