Friday, March 15, 2013

Interview with Kristen Simmons

aTWVguest author

article-5-coverBreakingPointFinal-1-685x1024

Hey all you readers and writers! Emma Michaels here to introduce our guest author of the day Kristen Simmons!

Hello Kristen and welcome to The Writers Voice.

What would you like for readers to take away from your novel/novels?

Primarily, I hope they enjoy the books, but I also hope Ember's world makes them think about their place in our world - what's acceptable, what's not, and what, if it was taken away, is worth defending.

Was there ever a moment when you wouldn’t trade what you do as an author for the world? What was that moment for you?

The moment my agent called to offer representation. Of all the incredible moments on this journey (including seeing my book on the shelf), that was the most emotional. I had waited seven years to receive that call. I had queried four different books in the process. When she called, I bawled. I still have that original contract framed on my wall.

What do you feel is your biggest writerly fault and how do you deal with it?

Creating characters just to kill them. My editor continues to warn me of this, and makes me trim back unnecessary people in revisions. It's sort of a joke now, but I'm always inclined to do it.

What is your biggest pet peeve in fiction writing?

When authors create characters just to kill them. I know. I KNOW! I am absolutely guilty of this, which is why when my editor tells me I need to rethink the roles of certain people I listen closely.

Worldbuilding is such an important part of writing. What would your words of encouragement for aspiring authors be when it comes to developing their own worlds?

My advice would be to recognize the boundaries of those worlds - such a buzzkill of an answer, right? Ha. Sorry. But creating rules for your world is just as important as letting your imagination run wild. For example, how does a mermaid show sadness? Does she cry? Chances are, probably not since she's underwater. You can make her ocean kingdom ten kinds of awesome, but the second those tears begin to fall you've got a problem.

Thanks for having me!

Thank you for stopping by

The Writers Voice!

No comments:

Post a Comment