Saturday, June 16, 2012

Interview with Samantha Young



Hey all you readers and writers! Emma Michaels here to introduce our guest author of the day:
Samantha Young!
Hello Samantha and welcome to The Writers Voice!

Are there any other art forms that inspire you when you are writing? Do you listen to music, look at art pieces for ideas or watch dance and gymnastics?

Music is a huge part of my writing process. I love taking long walks with my music and letting the melody and lyrics inspire me. My novella, Drip Drop Teardrop is entirely inspired by the song ‘overload’ by the Cardigans and is kind of a homage to the song really

What is your biggest and hardest to ignore distraction? How do you cope with it?

My biggest distraction is the internet. I’m constantly checking my emails and twitter and facebook and sometimes I really have to force myself into a no-web go area. I just like to keep on top of things and I always like to respond to someone who has contacted me about my books asap.

Is there one piece of advice you wish someone would have given you before you started writing?

Patience. Patience is key. It’s unrealistic to expect a massive fan base and huge sales instantly. Give yourself time to develop as a writer and to build a steady readership.

Do you write in or out of sequence? What part of your novel comes first? What comes last?

I so admire people who can write out of sequence! I can never do that, it makes my brain go ‘splat!’ I have to write from beginning to end. Someone who can write out of sequence has to explain that to me some day.

How do you choose your main character? What about perspective? Do you tend to write in third or choose the character telling the story based off of part of your plot?

My main character usually chooses me once I have the idea cemented. I think about what kind of heroine I want in that situation, the kinds of ‘real’ issues she’s dealing with so teens find her relatable, and then I begin writing out a bio for her. Mostly I write in third person so I can have multiple perspectives in my books. The only time I’ve written in first person was in Slumber because the entire story really was Rogan’s and Rogan’s alone.

When you are reading, what make a character compelling to you? Is it the same aspects that make a character you are writing compelling?

Actually it is. I love strong heroines with a vulnerable side. I’m not really a fan of the wilting wallflower type unless the character has quiet strength underneath all the shyness. I’m not a feminist by any means but I think young adult heroines should project a certain amount of strength and independence – she should be as kickass in her own way as her leading man


To all our readers out there, thank you for following The Writers Voice and happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment