Friday, May 17, 2013

Interview with Keisha Swaim!


A warm welcome to guest author
Keisha Swaim!
Are the traits of anyone close to you apparent in your characters?

The main character in my short story “Easy as Pie” in the Holiday Magick anthology was inspired by my younger brother and his obsession with tradition.

Who do you feel is your most unique character?

Pamie, a character from my debut novel, Blood Bound is definitely unlike anyone I’ve ever met, and that’s just the way she likes it.

Worldbuilding is such an important part of writing. What would your words of encouragement for aspiring authors be when it comes to developing their own worlds?

Keep asking yourself the “Why?” and “What if” questions. The more you understand your own world, the more your readers will be able to see, and believe it.

What’s your favorite way to procrastinate?

Facebook, reading (which I tell myself is actually research,) and playing with my son.

What is the hardest emotion for you to convey?

Heartbreak and deep sadness. I only know I’m doing it right when I make myself cry.

Which came first for you--the characters, the idea for the setting, or the plot?

Normally, they all come to me in a jumbled mess. Then I just listen to the voices in my head and write what they tell me to. (Yes, I know how crazy that sounds, but it’s true.)

When you were growing up, what did you want to be?

An author. But since I thought I wasn’t cool enough to do that, I said I was going to be an archaeologist.
 
Holiday Magick will be
released on May 21rd!  
 
Thank you for stopping by
The Writers Voice!

1 comment: