Friday, July 27, 2012

Interview with Karen Amanda Hooper

 

Hey all you readers and writers! Emma Michaels here to introduce our guest author of the day:
Karen Amanda Hooper
Hello Karen and welcome to The Writers Voice!


What would you like for readers to take away from your novel/novels?

Mostly I want readers to enjoy a escape from reality. Tangled Tides is full of magical characters who have adventures in extraordinary places: underwater, on an enchanted secret island, etc. Many people read for a break from their daily grind and I hope I’ve developed a fantastical world that readers will want to visit and characters who they’ll enjoy spending time with. However, in my story there’s an underlying message of love--in many forms. Love of self, family, friends, soul mates, even love of knowledge and life in general. I’m a big believer in loving with everything you’ve got, and that belief shines through in many of my characters.

Do you feel that aspiring writers should start out by writing what they know?

Maybe not necessarily what they know, but definitely write something they’re passionate about. I think readers can really tell when an author’s heart is in their writing. I’m no expert on merfolk but I’ve loved them since I was a little kid. I used to swim around the pool in our backyard (Mermaid Lagoon) with my legs stuck together and I’d pretend I was either a Sea Wee (little mermaid dolls I had), one of the mermaids from Peter Pan, or Madison from the movie Splash. We had a small waterfall in our pool and I declared that the secret gateway between Earth and the mermaid world. Those kinds of childhood experiences and lifelong love for mermaids played a big part in creating elements of Tangled Tides.

How do the novels you write differ from the novels you enjoy reading?

Not much. I’m a sucker for all things magical and paranormal. Mix in a great love story and I’m hooked. All of the stories I’ve written have those some basic themes in common—and they probably always will.

If you could choose any part of the world to live in for just one year, where would you go and why?

Oooh, tough call. I’d like to live in and explore many different places. I guess first on my wish list would be Australia/New Zealand. They are the same part of the world, so can I choose both? Maybe 6 months in each? So much beauty, fascinating wildlife, cool cultural customs, etc. Plus, they have those awesome Aussie and Kiwi accents. Indonesia, England and Hawaii are close runner-ups tough.

What are your biggest concerns about people around the world currently?

All of the violence and war. I don’t watch the news because it depresses me. I’d rather read and write great books with happy endings.

Thanks so much for inviting me to be featured on The Writers Voice. This was tons of fun and I look forward to getting to know more about other authors!
Website: http://www.KarenAmandaHooper.com
Tangled Tides on Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12047201-tangled-tides

Thank you again for joining us! It was a pleasure having you here! To all our readers out there, thank you for following The Writers Voice and happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment