Monday, December 19, 2011

Interview with Mara Purnhagen, author of Past Midnight

1. Did you always know you wanted to be a writer or was there
something else you wanted to do as a career?

Yes, I always wanted to be a writer. I was writing stories before I could spell, and I’ve always kept journals and written short stories. I have binders full of stories and two novels completed that will never be published. They were projects I completed because they were personal to me, and I’m not sure I want anyone else to read them.

2. Is there one author that you have read every book that they have written?

There are several! I love Anne Tyler, Richard Peck, Laura Lippman and Gabriel Garcia Marquez. I’ve read all of their books.

3. In your opinion what is the best movie adaptation of a book that you've read?

I’m not sure. I’m really looking forward to the Hunger Games movies, though- from the clips I’ve seen so far, it looks like they’re going to nail it!

4. When you are browsing book stores what is the first section you go to?

I always go to the children’s section first. I love to find books for my kids. Then I wander into the YA section, usually armed with a camera. I take pictures of the covers, especially if the book is written by someone I know. That way, I can post the picture on Facebook. Then I make my way into fiction and finally, magazines. It’s a good, two-hour process for me!

5. If your book was being made into a movie do you already have actors in mind for each role? What bands/singers would you put on the soundtrack?

Not sure about actors, but I do put together a playlist for each one of my books. I listen to music as I write. Here’s a partial list for the book I’m working on now:

1. Exile Vilify by the National (there is always at least one National song on all of my playlists—they’re my favorite band).
2. Kingdom of Rust by Doves
3. Midnight City by M83
4. Typhoon by Crooked Fingers
5. Tamer Animals by Other Lives
6. Take the World by She Wants Revenge (I see this song as the final one, perfect for the last chapter)


6. When you're creating characters do you incorporate traits from people you know?
Sometimes. It’s more like including an inside joke. For example, a restaurant in the Past Midnight series is called Giuseppe’s. My husband used to play in a band, and they came up with fake names. His was Giuseppe (in real life, it’s Joe).


7. If you had the chance to have a sit down with any author alive or deceased who would it be and why?

I’ve been lucky enough to meet some of my favorite living authors in person, so I would go with someone who has already passed on. That’s tough, though! Can’t I host a big dinner party and invite a dozen of my favorites? No? Then I have to go with William Shakespeare, for the simple fact that I want to solve the mystery of who he was!


Thank you for having me!

No comments:

Post a Comment