Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Getting over bad reviews

One of the hardest parts of being a writer that everyone has to deal with eventually is getting that very first bad review. I knew before my first book was published that bad reviews were part of the job. I knew that I didn't like every book I had ever read, so there was a good chance that not everyone would like every book I write.

But still, when you're on the receiving end of that bad review, ouch.

When my first book was published, I remember feeling like I was on a roller coaster of emotions. Good review--yay! Another good review--whee! Bad review--plummet back to earth at supersonic speed. Oh, a good review again--yay!

No matter how many good reviews you get, a bad review can haunt you if you let it. I don't allow myself to obsess over them anymore. Here are a few tricks I use to move on from a bad review:

  • Eat chocolate. I'm a firm believer that chocolate can help in any situation.
  • Watch a really bad movie and tell yourself that your book is better than that at least!
  • Do something nice for yourself. Buy a new book. Get a manicure. Or go to your favorite place. Whatever you like best, do it.
  • Work on your next book and make it the best book you've ever written.
  • Go to Goodreads or Amazon. Look up one of your absolute favorite books ever written by your favorite author. Sort the reviews according to the star rating, and then read all of the one star reviews. This always perks me up. If other people hated the books I loved, then maybe other people will love my book even though someone else hated it.
 Don't let a bad review get you down! Move on and get back to work on your next book. If any other authors out there have more tips for getting over bad reviews, I'd love to hear them!

No comments:

Post a Comment