Saturday, February 2, 2013

Interview with Samantha Young

Hey all you readers and writers! Emma Michaels here to introduce our guest author of the day:
Samantha Young!
Hello Samantha and welcome to The Writers Voice!

What would you like for readers to take away from your novel/novels?

Over and above anything else I want to have entertained my readers. I want them to have escaped from their lives for a while – to have felt as if they had been taken on an adventure, where they experienced everything my characters felt.

Do you feel that aspiring writers should start out by writing what they know?

I think that’s a difficult question to answer because I write paranormal fiction. The first novel I completed is about a war between supernatural races. I know nothing about being a wolf or a witch… But then I do know about feeling different, about grief, about friendship, about love… I think it’s about finding a balance between writing what you know and having the ability to put yourself into a situation and draw on what you think you would feel if ‘this’ ever happened to you.

How do the novels you write differ from the novels you enjoy reading?

Lol they don’t. I love reading paranormal and fantasy fiction, adult or young adult. I’m also a huge dystopian and science-fiction fan.

If you could choose any part of the world to live in for just one year, where would you go and why?

I’d love to live in Boston for a year. I’ve actually toyed with the idea of taking off to Massachusetts for a few months. I’ve always wanted to live in the US for a while. I like Seattle or Boston, but Boston is winning me over because I have a few friends from the East Coast and it doesn’t seem such a huge transition from Scotland to Boston as other areas of the US might.

What are your biggest concerns about people around the world currently?

Actually my biggest concerns are closer to home. It makes me sound so old when I’m only twenty five but I’ve been shocked by the younger generation in Britain over the last few years, especially during the London Riots – I was appalled and ashamed of them. There seems to be an attitude of expectation from some British youth, as if they have a right to luxury just because they breathe. Some of them need to be reminded that there are children who don’t have basic necessities in life. Oh… and it would be nice if more of them would pick up a book… that might help educate them on how much better off they compare to many children across the globe. Note that I know this is not all kids – I’ve been travelling around schools in Scotland doing Creative Writing workshops and a lot of these kids are book enthusiasts and so clever!

To all our readers out there, thank you for following The Writers Voice and happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment