Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Random Thoughts from a Random Mind...

     I'm sitting her staring at this blank page trying to figure out what to write about for this article. I wish I had something brilliant to say, something that would inspire and encourage, but alas there are no brilliant words rattling around in my head. 

So, we are going to go with the first thing that pops into my head...I call this impromptu writing and I often do it when I have writers block. Hmmm...


I want to take a moment to examine The Moment in a love story. You know what moment I'm thinking of, the one where He enters the scene and the heroine sees him for the first time. It's a pivotal moment in the book whether you realize it or not. It sets up the tone of their relationship for the remainder of the book and prepares the reader for the chemistry that will undoubtedly be slapping them in the face every time the pair share scenes together.
It's the first big moment that everyone is waiting on pins and needles for and they find it hard not to flip ahead through the intro of the story just to get to it. The Moment...here's my rendition of it. (disclaimer: this is not from any of the books I've written, nor does it relate to them, it is simply a separate short piece  I'm writing on the spur of the moment)


The Moment

Memory rummaged through the clothes on her floor as she looked for the sports bra that she was sure she had washed. She wasn't above grabbing one from the dirty clothes pile in a pinch and she was nearing that point just as she found it buried at the bottom. She grabbed the blue garment and hurried to the bathroom to change. Kara, her roommate was in the living room waiting on her so they could go do their nightly run. 

Just as Memory emerged from the bathroom there was a knock on the door. She tossed her clothes on her futon and grabbed a pony tail holder quickly throwing her hair up. She heard a deep voice coming from the living room along with Kara's and figured one of the guys they typically hung out with had come over. She grabbed her key to the apartment and tied it to her shoelace, flipped the light switch to her room and rounded the corner into the living room. Her feet jerked to a halt as her eyes landed on the owner of the deep voice that had followed the knock. Her eyes widened slightly and she knew she was staring at him, just standing there staring, but she couldn't help it. He was hot. Not in the all American sort of way, but in the I can wear a burlap sack and girls would still stop and stare. He looked over at her and piercing, clear blue eyes held her captive. High cheek bones, a strong jaw, a sharp, straight nose, and soft lips completed the handsome face. His head was shaved, not by necessity because of balding. Based on his incredible tan, she decided it must be because he worked outside and it was cooler to have a shaved head rather than a head full of dark hair. He appeared to be around six feet tall and he was muscular, and chiseled. He was the most drool worthy guy she had seen in a long time. 

"Memory," Kara's voice registered in her ears but the words were just a jumble, "This is Brad, he's a friend of mine from school."

Memory continued to stare and when Brad took a step towards her and held out his hand she finally snapped out of her lust induced stupor. She looked down at the outstretched hand and saw that it was a very masculine hand with long tapered fingers, and short, clean finger nails. As she took it she felt the firm grip and imagined that grip on her waist instead of her hand. His fore arm flexed and she decided it would be safer, and hopefully less likely of her to climb into his lap if she stopped admiring his incredible body.

"Hi," he smiled at her and her heart sped up. "Memory huh? What's your last name?"

"Zabinski."

Brad's eye brows rose. "What's your middle name?"

Memory blushed a little knowing he must think her name to be so strange. "Elizabeth."

A wry smile formed on his lips and he winked. "Is it okay if I call you Lizzy?"

Memory let go of his hand reluctantly and shrugged, "Sure."

"Brad we were just on our way out to run, you want to join us?" Kara's voice broke in and Memory took the moment to look away and pull her self together. 

He's out of your league Memory, so just smile and move on. She told herself as she waited to see if he would join them. 

"Sure, I'll run with y'all." 

Memory felt equal parts excitement and disappointment at his announcement. There was no doubt she was attracted to him, and wanted him to stay, if for no other reason than to look at him. But she was sure she would do something to make herself look like an ass. --


This moment is actually quite close to my heart, as although the names have been changed, the events are true. This is the moment I met the man I knew I would marry. That was my moment and it was every bit as intense as the scenes I write in my books. By the end of that night, when he had finally left, I sat in the floor of my apartment stretching after our work out and looked over at my room mate. I said, "Jenny, I'm going to marry him." She knew who I was talking about and she chuckled. But I knew my words were true. I had met my soul mate that night. I had had my moment and because of it, because I've experienced the intense emotions, the utter infatuation and instant chemistry, I'm able to write about it. My heart still flutters when he walks into a room, and I still get weak in the knees when he winks one of his beautiful blue eyes at me.

So here's to all those fictional moments that make our hearts fall to our feet, and here's hoping that you each have or get to have your own Moment with your true love. 

~Quinn


No comments:

Post a Comment