Thursday, September 6, 2012

I Think I Need an Intervention (from Pinterest)

It was about a year ago, not too long after I released the Daughters of Saraqael trilogy, when a friend of mine said, "I've just pinned your books!" The statement was issued with much pride and flourish, as though she was ushering the books along the red carpet at some posh Hollywood event. She clearly expected an equally enthusiastic response.

I believe I said, "Um...what?"

"You don't know about Pinterest?" she asked, looking at me like I'd sprouted horns and fangs (which, admittedly, might've been kind of cool). When I assured her that I most definitely did not, she promptly sent me a Pinterest invite.

Which I ignored. Who has time for yet another social media fad? I thought. My friend is an avid DIY junkie with a hobby in crafting, so no wonder this site appealed to her.

But me? I'm a writer! What could I possibly find on Pinterest to interest me and my fans?


Okay, okay...I know there's a lot more to appreciate about Pinterest than guys without shirts. But Holy Schmoses, color me giddy and call me a convert!

I've heard other writers refer to Pinterest as a glorified pin-board, something for which only scrapbookers would have any use. I'm here to tell you otherwise.

Here are my Top 5 reasons authors should use Pinterest:
  1. It links to your Twitter and Facebook accounts. If you find yourself struggling to come up with new and interesting content on your standard social media sites, Pinterest will take you to a whole new level. You'll find all kinds of interesting, funny and hot images to share and talk about, capturing the interest of followers both new and old.
  2. People are largely visual. Steve Jobs is known for saying, "People don't know what they want until you show it to them." Authors can (and should) create pin boards related to their books. This can include trailers, characters, book settings, and anything else writerly and bookish.
  3. You can pin images linking right to your books' sales pages. Pinterest is designed to draw traffic to the image's source. You can pin the image of your book from its Amazon (or B&N, etc.) sales pages, and when people click on the picture in Pinterest, it takes them directly to purchase it. And yes...I've gotten sales through Pinterest.
  4. It will potentially increase your blog traffic. Assuming you include images in your posts that can be pinned, you can add your blog posts to Pinterest. Anyone who sees an image that attracts their interest will click on it and go right to your blog. I've discovered many amazing bloggers this way.
  5. It'll keep you motivated. The great thing about Pinterest is that it's hugely diverse. There are images of faraway lands that will inspire your book settings. You'll craft entire story lines around a haunting image of a woman in a cloak. Music videos will make their way onto your book playlists. I would argue that Pinterest is the single-most motivating social media site out there. Just when you think you have time to scroll through just one more page of images, you'll see something like this:
  
Why, yes gentlemen, I should. Before I go and do just that, I'll invite any readers of this blog to follow me on Pinterest. Let's be addicts together!

Do you use Pinterest? If so, tell us why!

No comments:

Post a Comment