Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Write What You Know.


1994 by Devyn Dawson


Eighteen years ago today I woke up at five in the morning, showered, did my hair and went to the hospital.  I don’t remember if it was unseasonably cold or hot, I remember excitement.  It was a family affair.  My family (mom, sister, niece, aunts, friends) all gathered at the hospital to eagerly meet my baby boy.  It was especially busy that day, or so the nurses told me when I had to wait for my turn in the operating room.  My daughter was 3 1//2 and wore the perfect little outfit and French braids in her hair, she waited with my mom.  He would be my mom’s thirteenth and final grandchild.  At 8:05 a.m. my husband and I met our son Hunter, he weighed 7lbs 9 oz and 19 inches long and bald as a cue ball (per my mom).  The first moments of his life in our cold and brutal world were sketchy, but he pulled through and would bring years of laughter.  There were 16 babies born on that day in 1994, I wonder what life brought forth for them.  I wonder if they are eagerly waiting for high school graduation, senior prom, college applications and life as an adult.  In the last 18 years we’ve had many triumphs and sorrow.  Hunter has lost both grandmothers, my mom and his dad’s mom.  He has lived in two states, Oklahoma and North Carolina. He is funny, smart and easily distracted.  He loves music, girls, and hanging out with the guys.  He is now 6’ tall and 155 lbs with brown curly hair and big brown eyes.  My son is leaving childhood and beginning life as an adult.  If you’ve ever wondered where my character Abel came from, he is all the good things my baby boy is.  Happy Birthday Hunter - Love Mom

Thank you for reading..... and the next time you read my series The Legacy of Kilkenny, remember Abel is a touch of my son Hunter.  I think that all writers have a bit of their own life experiences in their stories.  Every writer will tell you... "write what you know".  That doesn't mean to be literal, but draw from those experiences.  Many of my characters are a mixture of people I've known throughout the years.  The maternal characters are a bit of all the women I know.  Recently, I was asked by a new blogger what type of book blogging should she do.  Well, what if I told her she should blog about Amish fiction books?  That would be silly if all she reads is young adult.  I can't tell you what to write, but it will flow easier if you know the subject well.  Where would Erma Bombeck have gotten if she didn't draw from her life?  Think about it, and let it flow!


Good luck and happy writing!

5 comments:

  1. What a sweet tribute. I hope Devyn has a great birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have tears in my eyes! Happy baby birthday, Devyn. Today is a special day for both you and Hunter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so sweet! My teenagers would have killed me for posting something like this! I hope he doesn't!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! He doesn't keep up with my blogs - but that pretty girl in the picture (his girlfriend), she does. Time flies, and how blessed we've been. Thank you for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a delightful post, Devyn! And the message of writing what you know is really essential, especially to writers just starting out. The more you know a topic, the more your reader will be convinced by your writing!

    ReplyDelete