Wednesday, November 7, 2012

One Author, Two Series, who knew?

                                                        

Cassie Tate, Elfin Series                                             Sally Morgan, Grey Wolves Series




I’m 36,000 words into the first book of my new series and I’m terrified. Yes, you heard me, I said terrified. The Grey Wolves Series is my first series ever. It’s the first books I've ever written in my life, the first characters that I wrote and grew to love and think of as friends and the first series that readers have grown attached to. It’s not over yet, there are still more books to come in that series, but I decided to go ahead and start a new one. I had all these ideas swirling around in my brain and it’s messy enough up there I decided I better clean house and get some of them down on paper- so alas we have the Elfin Series.
I was working on it today and my husband called me about lunch and I bit his head off. He was like what’s the heck Quinn? My response…my book sucks. Yep, that’s all it takes to put an author in a head biting mood. To read what you've written and go man that sucks. I just kept comparing it to the first series and worrying about others comparing it to the first series, and to each character and to blah, blah, blah. It’s enough to drive a person crazy, and my husband is pretty sure I past crazy a few exit’s back so what’s next for me? Yeah, that’s what I’m worried about lol. So I emailed a friend and sent her what I have of Elfin so far and I was like “hey, be brutally honest with me, no matter how painful it might be, I need to know if this sucks.” FYI all you BETA readers, when an author says be honest, they really mean it. I’m blessed to have very honest readers. I don’t want someone to tell me they like what I wrote because they don’t want to make me mad or don’t want to hurt my feelings. By all freaking means, to keep me from putting out some crap and plastering my name on it, smiling like an idiot and printing out a bunch of copies said crap- hurt my feelings! Stomp my heart out, if it’s going to make me a better writer.
That said she sent me back an email that really helped me clear my head and helped me see that at this moment in time, everything I write that isn't in the Grey Wolves Series is going to seem like crap…to me-hopefully it isn't  It’s very challenging to say the least, for me as a new author, to attempt to write two series at the same time. I want to make sure that I put out the best books I can no matter the series. I want people to pick up a book with my name on it and know that I've given 110% every time I sit down to write and I pray that that 110% is worth every bit of their time.
Am I still terrified, hell yes! But, maybe a little more excited now as well. Excited to embark on a new journey with new characters. Excited to explore a new romance with new emotions and most of all excited to bring a new impossible world to life.
                                                                                                                                                

17 comments:

  1. Oh, Quinn, I am so there with you. I'm working on a brand new series for NaNo - an idea I've been thinking about for a year but was worried about putting the Soul Savers Series aside for it. I finally decided I need to get it out of my head, like you. I wish you the best! Holler if you need to share craziness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kristie i appreciate the shout out and encouragement. The invite goes both ways!

      Delete
  2. Quinn I believe in you, and I'm sure you will have another great series even though it's hard right now. Your Grey wolves series is in my top 3 werewolf series of all time, and let me tell you, that's saying a lot for me, I read lots of wolf books. I usually shy away from Fayrie type books, but Chapter one of you book Elfin really grabbed my interest and makes me want to read more! Good Luck with your writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your support and encouragement it means the world to me!

      Delete
  3. I can understand your fear, specially after writing such an amazing series already. I don't think you honestly have anything to worry about. There might be a few fans that might compare one series to the other, but that's with every author. You are amazing with your writings, being able to put our self into the stories is so amazing, just waiting to finish a page only to see what happens next is outstanding. I know your new series will live up to your readers if not go beyond what they may think. I am for one ready to read your new series and am very excited to add it to my collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so grateful that people responded to the GWS with such interest and passion. I just want that for all my books. I'm not perfect and therefore I have to deal with the fact that not everyone will like every book I write :) thank you so much for your encouragement!

      Delete
  4. You are an amazing writer Quinn, so excited to read this new series!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The GWS has become my new favorite series. I stumbled across them last month in the kindle book store and very glad I gave them a go.
    I now have my oldest daughter and two sisters addicted to them. We are "patiently" waiting foe book 6.
    It was nice to get away from all things vampy :)
    The only problem is whomever edits needs to pay closer attention to spelling and typeos.
    But that's neither here nor there. The books are great.
    Now from what I read of Ch 1 of ES. I was interested. The Fae will be a nice subject to explore. The instant love is the only thing I saw that was GW connected, but from one chapter I was hooked and will be looking for it in December.
    Try not to stress, your writing is good. And kiss hubby on his head and apologize for the temporary mental episode. :)
    Can you give a heads up on when book 6 of GW will be out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your honesty and opinion and support. I really appreciate it. Also thank you for taking time to tell others about my books, that is something that I can't say thanks enough for! Book 6 I hope to have out in January. No date set as of yet.

      Delete
    2. That is great! And I just turned 4 more ladies onto the GW series tonight :)
      Went with some fun ladies to see Breaking Dawn 2 and I got into discussing your books while waiting in line. Lol. They were really excited after I gave them a sanapsus of the series so far.
      Thank you for sharing such a great story with us. Can't wait to read first book of The Elvin Series.
      Keep up the good work and hope your family has a wonderful Thanksgiving!

      Delete
  6. Oh Quinn! U KNOW I am one of your MOST avid readers! (And yes I know there are LOOOTS OF OTHERS)

    That being said I will follow you 110% because of who you are....your writing just tops the cake!

    You know I love you and am here for ya always!!!!

    Do what you do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love you more! You are da bomb!!! (okay so I just totally showed my age)

      Delete
  7. I feel your pain and sympathize with you. I just finished the second book to my first series and started my first book to another series. I kept comparing, contrasting, and worrying much like you. My followers are no where near your numbers but if they grow, I worry about the comparisons that might be made. I've read all of the books in the grey wolf series and they are absolutely wonderful. Your personality and talent shines through the pages and I have no doubt that your new series will be the same. Just don't let the pressure bring you down. Sometimes authors get lost in the worry and lose their full potential and themselves because of it. Forget the worry and remember why you love to write. Fall in the story, be the characters, and your new series will be just as great or even better than your first.
    <3 The Grey Wolf Series!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi. I was introduced to your books by a friend, and I'm truly thankful to her for that. These books are amazing, and I bought the whole series on my nook with my allowance money ( I'm only twelve). The only complaint I have is that Prince of Wolves was really straightforward. The books I usually read, which is a lot, always left me dwelling on the words written's true meaning. But as I read on, the plot grew quicky, and awesomely. I was like, 'Holy shiz, why did I ever doubt this frickin' amazing book!' Thank you for writing such awesomeness.

    ReplyDelete