Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Megg Jensen

Hi everyone!!! Wow, thanks so much for stopping by The Writer's Voice. I have a feeling this is going to be a really fun blog.

My name is Megg Jensen and I'm a YA fantasy author. OMG, sounds like I'm in a 12-step program, doesn't it? I'll try to jazz up the rest. ;)

I began writing in 1982. No, I'm not old; I just started young. My earliest memory of attempting to write a book was at the age of seven. From there, I spent countless hours typing books on my parents' ancient typewriter. Yes, I would use old paper - on purpose, because it was brown, like the pages of an old book - type out my stories, then meticulously cut the pages to the same size as a paperback. Then I'd staple them together.

It's kind of ironic that now I focus mainly on epublishing...

If you raided my closet, you'd find an old army ammunition crate my great-uncle brought back from World War II. Inside that crate is tons of ammo - the literary kind. If you guys saw those old stories, poems, newspapers, and drawings, you'd probably never buy one of my novels. Thankfully they stay hidden by oodles of awesome high-heeled shoes.

In the late 1990s, I had a few short stories published under my real name (Megg is a pen name and if you want to know why, here's my answer). Feeling confident, I attempted a novel. Then another. One of them will never see the light of day, the other might...someday.

Got married to a guy I met swing dancing (I know, right? Every girl yearns for a guy who loves to dance), moved, and had a baby. To keep my brain from turning to jelly, I became a freelance journalist. After a while, the novel bug bit again - and since then I never looked back.

Let's see....random facts...I love swing dancing and inline skating. I'm pretty sure I cannot ride a bicycle. I have the hubby, two kids (one biological, one adopted), and I kinda wish my mom and dad lived with us because they are so awesome. I grew up on a farm and now I live in the suburbs. After nearly twenty years, I'm still trying to adjust living so close to people. My favorite author of all time is Marion Zimmer Bradley. If The Canterbury Tales were a food, it would be chocolate and I would eat a part of it every day. If you haven't read Chaucer, you should.

I mainly write fantasy (there is a YA contemporary on my hard drive) and I work with the most amazing group of women at DarkSide Publishing. I love my life. I always wanted to be a writer (or an archaeologist) and I live my dream every day!!!!

1 comment:

  1. HI Megg, it's nice to meet you. Should I stand up and start with, "Hello, my name is Heather and I'm a YA writer"? LOL! You're right, it does kind of sound like we're in a 12-step program!

    ReplyDelete