Thursday, May 23, 2013

Formatting Your Kindle Book

Formatting Your Kindle Book

Publishing your book is a very hard process. There's the idea, the writing, the editing, and then the publishing and marketing. Of course it's much more complicated than that, but in the simplest of terms that's what it is. But, these steps are mainly for the mainstreamed published (i.e. published by a real business) so when you're independently published, or self-published to make it simple, there are a few more steps you need to take care of before letting your story out there. One of these steps, and one of the hardest ones of all, is formatting your book.

I had started to get complaints that my self-pubbed short stories on Amazon Kindle weren't properly formatted, creating a mess of a download for my readers. Once this issue was pointed out to me I immediately set out to fix this mistake. I began an extensive search on the Intar-Web, looking for tutroials, videos, or anything resembling advice on how to properly format my stories. I mostly just found links to books I could buy that explained everything, but I was hesitant to spend any money, so I kept searching for an alternative. I even asked around my group of writer friends. Most had no clue, as they had their publisher take care of it for them. Some said it was all HTML work, which freaked me out because I know practically NOTHING about HTML. They tried to explain the process to me, but it all was just white-noise to me. So, back to searching I went.

And then, finally, I found a video on YouTube by Author Tom Corson-Knowles that was an ultimate life-saver. With this video I successfully fixed my previously mentioned problems and now know how to avoid them the next time I self-publish a story on Amazon Kindle.

Check out the video to make sure you don't make the same mistake as me!:




Hasta Luego, mi amigos!

-Michael L.

No comments:

Post a Comment