Saturday, June 8, 2013

Interview with Linda Harley

omgnewbutton

aTWVguest author

16147058

Was there ever a moment when you wouldn’t trade what you do as an author for the world? What was that moment for you?

Yes, the first time I held the actual print of my first novel Destiny’s Flower in my hands, fresh off the press. It seemed unreal and I was extremely giddy like it was Christmas. I was still in my pj’s when the doorbell rang with the delivery guy dropping of the package. I ripped it open, and took the book out. I was smiling from ear to ear. It had taken me many months to reach that point, many words and hours had been spent, and it felt precious to finally hold it in my hand.

What do you feel is your biggest writerly fault and how do you deal with it?

My biggest fault is procrastinating. I typically try to write a page a night, otherwise the story would never get told. But often I have to visualize it before I can write it, making me waste days trying to day dream about the next chapter as opposed to just letting the words flow.

What is your biggest pet peeve in fiction writing?

That’s easy. The fact that some authors believe they have to use sex and profanity to tell a good story. In my opinion, any book that avoids either of those, are miles above the rest.

Worldbuilding is such an important part of writing. What would your words of encouragement for aspiring authors be when it comes to developing their own worlds?

Any world has laws. Like the law of gravity, weather patterns, etc. All of these laws control and dictates what your world will be like. When you have chosen the specific set of laws that you want for your world, make sure you never violate them. This is something that readers will pick up on immediately and you will lose credibility.

What’s your favorite way to procrastinate?

Reading someone else’s book. I’m a book reviewer in my spare time.

Thank you for stopping by

The Writers Voice

No comments:

Post a Comment