Wednesday, January 4, 2012

No Resolutions Here!



It's the New Year and I haven't made one resolution, nor do I plan to. I don't think resolutions are evil or for the weak, they just don't work for me. Instead, I approach the new year as I do when I write a new book.

I think about what I want constantly. I live my life in a way that's true to that vision and then, if I'm lucky, the dreams come true.

In the final week of December 2010, I made my decision to epublish. After I pulled Sleepers from the consideration of two agents (crazy, I know), I dove head-first into learning everything I could about the publishing industry. My first hope? To sell a book to someone I didn't know - whether I knew that person in 'real' life or on the internet. Why isn't this a goal? Because a goal requires the goal setter to have some control over the outcome. I cannot control whether or not anyone actually hits that purchase button.

I got lucky - a few people hit that purchase button all on their own. To me, that's a bit of a miracle. There's only so much I can do. Sometimes I have to leave it up to others to do the rest.

So, for 2012, I hope people continue to find my work worthwhile. I hope they continue to hit that purchase button. As for the things I can control, I plan to write and publish at least two novels (finishing out The Swarm Trilogy). I'm really excited. Writing is the one thing that makes me happy - even on the days I want to toss my laptop out the window. I wouldn't give up writing for anything!

No comments:

Post a Comment